Recipe by Lauren from Organic Spoon
150g buckwheat flour
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
1.5 tsp baking powder
80ml coconut oil
3 ripe bananas
7 tbsp maple
3 large carrots
¼ cup chopped walnuts
250g organic, dairy free spread / margarine
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a cupcake baking tray with cupcake liners.
- Peel and grate the carrots and leave to the side.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder and spices.
- In another bowl mash the bananas then mix in the coconut oil (melted but not hot) and maple.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, adding slowly and mixing as you go along. Once it is mixed, add the grated carrot and walnuts and mix again.
- Pour into the prepared tin and put in the oven for 18 minutes.
- Once it’s in the oven prepare the topping by mixing the ingredients really well then leaving in the fridge.
- Remove the cake from the oven and wait until it is completely cool before adding the topping. The topping will need to come out the fridge 5 minutes before you’re going to start adding it to the cakes.
- Add some more chopped walnuts to the top.